Re: IETF meeting agenda

At 08:23 PM 6/18/95 PDT, Larry Masinter wrote:
>>Does someone have a URL-proposal-scorecard we could use to structure
>>the URL discussion?
>
>... but of course (as Paul Hoffman pointed out) I meant 'URN' and not
>URL.

As previously mentioned, I am currently working on this. However,
to the extent that most of the proposals have not been implemented
and deployed, it basically boils down to judgement calls (e.g. "yes
it'll scale", "no it won't scale") which as we have seen both in
Danvers and on the list basically means we won't make much progress.

In fact, this was the idea originally behind the bakeoff - let's have
some working reference models and then do the scorecard. However, in
Danvers it was decided that once there were actual implemenations
the emotional stakes would be higher so that it would be better to
try to come up with some basic consensus on some of the "simple"
issues (e.g., syntax :-) first. This effort was called the "stone
soup party".

I think several messages have gone out requesting that all the
proposals address syntax and resolution in separate drafts. Although,
I personally agree with Keith that you can't really separate syntax
and resolution when considering the overall architecture, I think
having them be separated makes for easier discussion and comparison.
Besides, it means changes to Mitra's draft so it can be resubmitted :-)

Roxana

---
Roxana Bradescu                             email: roxanab@attmail.com
Information Services Architecture Dept.       tel: 1+908-949-2002
AT&T Bell Labs                                fax: 1+908-949-8569