Re: Question for DNS propronents?

From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
Date: Fri, 16 Jun 1995 12:58:23 -0400
To: "Terry Allen" <terry@ora.com>
Cc: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>, Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, roxanab@attmail.com, uri@bunyip.com
> Suppose there were only two resolution sites, and they used two
> different methods.  From RFC 1737 I extract:

[...]

The criteria in RFC 1737 are not sufficient to produce an efficient
system.

> but so long as a URN is globally unique, any sort of lookup method
> will serve.

But this doesn't mean that any lookup method is as good as any other.
URN resolution should be a low-cost service.  If we design URNs right,
the lookup can be cheap, at least for the common cases.  If we don't
pay attention to this aspect of design, it will be expensive.

It's like saying you can design a transmission without considering the
overall characteristics of the automobile.  You might be able to hook
everything together, but it won't work well.

Keith