Re: How paf is implementing URNs and URCs today

Michael Mealling (Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu)
Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:44:06 -0400 (EDT)

From: Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu (Michael Mealling)
Subject: Re: How paf is implementing URNs and URCs today
To: paf@bunyip.com (Patrik Faltstrom)
Date: Sun, 16 Jul 1995 08:44:06 -0400 (EDT)
Cc: uri@bunyip.com

Mine and Patrik's implementations are very similar so (without checking
with him) I'm going to ditto his implementation as what I'm also
working on. My additions include a new DNS RR for facilitating
the DNS lookup (and for replicating authority servers) as well
as implementing the MODE command for whois++ that will
facilitate semantic gateways between protocols/syntaxes....

Patrik Faltstrom said this:
> At 20.27 95-07-08, Roy Fielding wrote:
> >I apparently missed the deadline by 30 minutes, so here is yet
> >another view of how URNs and URCs can be implemented.
>
> ...and yet another one is currently is implemented using DNS/Whois++
> for the searching/resolution.
>
> I think you will attac the URC from two different angels:
>
> (1) You have a URN and want to have "the best URL".
> (2) You don't know anything but "...this latest chinese
>     chuisine I heard about...wounder if I can find
>     a URC for that...".
>
> (1) Can be solved with my proposal by using a scheme for the URN
> which as fast as possible makes you know the Whois++ server that
> have the URC on-line. This can be several servers sometimes.
> Because the centroid/referral idea might be too slow sometimes,
> we register publisher-IDs in DNS by using some scheme, for example
> what Michael Mealling have proposed, i.e. an inverted OID-number.
> When you have found the correct server, issue a normal Whois++
> query and you get the record back.
>
> The query can look like (on one line)
>
> template=urc and
> urn=URN\:OID\:1.3.6.1.4.1.1375.2\:931E7004E10819FCC5932944242A8DA41
>
> (':' must be escaped in the Whois++ protocol)
>
> (2) Can be solved by issuing a whois++ query somewhere in the
> whois++ mesh and using the normal Whois++ navigation techniques.
> A query might look like:
>
> template=urc and keywords=chinese and keywords=cuisine.
>
> You can find URCs for everything on ftp:ftp.bunyip.com
> and http://www.bunyip.com, including the digest for this
> mailinglist.

-MM

Life is a game. Someone wins and someone loses. Get used to it.
<BR>
<HR><A HREF="http://www.gatech.edu/michael.html">Michael Mealling</A>