Re: URN Resolution Paths Considered Harmful

Mark Fisher wrote:
<snip>
> Because:
> 1) URN resolution services are just a database system; and
> 2) The most successful database technology so far (relational
> databases) does not include the resolution path in the query, but
> leaves up to the resolver;
> I think that we should follow the direction of other database
> systems by not encoding the resolution path into the URN.

Mark, thank you for pointing this out so lucidly.

I would like to reiterate my agreement with this position in the
strongest possible terms.

(See also my response to Rich Salz's message about object technology.)

--
Mark Madsen: <msm@ansa.co.uk> <URL:http://www.ansa.co.uk/Staff/msm.html>
Information Services Framework, The ANSA Project, APM Ltd., Castle Park,