Re: Second round for new URL scheme (mailserver)

At 12:16 AM 1/10/95, Paul Hoffman wrote:
>The "mailserver" URL has the form:
>
>     mailserver:<rfc822-addr-spec>/<subject>/<body>/[<other-headers>]
>
>Client software would prepare a mail message with the <subject> text as the
>subject and the <body> text as the body of the message.

Paul,  I see a couple of problems here.  First, you are assuming the body
only has a single line.  This is not always true, many mail servers let you
send multiple commands on multiple lines.  The / is my original proposal
was meant to specify the end of line.  Here, it's just a separator.  For
this to work, you would have to encode an end of line, which was something
I was trying to avoid.
The way I had it, was to just allow for arbitary lines, separated by /,
with the convention that // would be needed to designate the end of the
header.  Just like a mail message.

Second, a proper e-mail message needs a From: line in the header.  Clearly,
this is a client side issue, but I think it should be spelled out in the
specification that this must be added.

--
Dirk Herr-Hoyman <hoymand@gate.net> |          I tried to contain myself
CyberBeach Publishing               |                                but