Re: Base URLs

David Robinson (drtr1@cam.ac.uk)
Fri, 10 Feb 95 12:19 GMT

Date: Fri, 10 Feb 95 12:19 GMT
To: fielding@avron.ICS.UCI.EDU
Subject: Re: Base URLs
Cc: drtr1@cam.ac.uk, uri@bunyip.com
From: drtr1@cam.ac.uk (David Robinson)

It seems that I wasn't sufficiently precise with my language; what I was trying
to explain to Owen Rees what was wrong with Base: headers taking precedence
over document content.

[All you other comments are valid]

> > Why distinguish message
> > headers from other retrieval contexts?
>
>It does not.  Message headers ARE the retrieval context -- the document
>is encapsulated inside the message.

But it does! You talk about retrieval context in section 3.3, but a base URL
within message headers is mentioned in section 3.2.  The implication, for a
casual reader, is that message headers are not retrieval context. This is also
shown graphically, with a box between the two. Hence, as Owen Rees assumed, the
relative priority of message headers and document content was chosen
arbitrarily.

I was trying to suggest that the base URL in message headers should be
explained as simply another example of retrieval context.

 David.