Base URLs

Owen Rees (rtor@ansa.co.uk)
Wed, 08 Feb 1995 17:38:49 +0000

To: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Base URLs
Date: Wed, 08 Feb 1995 17:38:49 +0000
From: Owen Rees <rtor@ansa.co.uk>

In draft-ietf-uri-relative-url-05.txt, "within Document Content" (3.1)
overrides "within Message Headers" (3.2). Is there a reason for this order? I
can think of reasons for putting these two the other way round, but not for
this order.

Typical servers generate the headers dynamically, but use stored document
content. The precedence only matters when there is a base defined both in the
document and in the headers, and the currently proposed order gives precedence
to what I would expect to be the "older" information. I can forsee fixing up a
server to issue Base: headers according to some mapping rule, and wanting to
override what is in the document.

Regards,
  Owen Rees <rtor@ansa.co.uk>
Information about ANSA is at <URL:http://www.ansa.co.uk/>.