Re: URN namespace

Larry Masinter (masinter@parc.xerox.com)
Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:45:25 PDT

To: uri@bunyip.com
Subject: Re: URN namespace
From: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Aug 1995 15:45:25 PDT

Any naming system that uses current DNS domains and expects long term
persistence also requires at least a low-frequency time stamp, because
current DNS domains are not guaranteed long term persistence.

I think 'year' is good enough, but 'year and month' might be better.

    1993 xerox.com documentID

Note punctuation elided. If year=currentyear, use DNS, otherwise use
some other service.

> Does ease (or difficulty) of creating and extending the name space
> affect persistence?  If it is easy to create a naming authority, will
. this work against persistence?

I think the key element isn't 'ease of creating' but 'frequency of
reassignment'. We should all have heard of the cases of 'mtv.com' and
'kaplan.com' and 'bbb.com' already, right?