Re: uri.host is down?

From: Ron Daniel Jr. <rdaniel@acl.lanl.gov>
Date: Wed, 12 Apr 1995 09:03:04 -0600
To: Renato Iannella <ren@dstc.edu.au>
Cc: uri@bunyip.com
On Apr 12,  3:35pm, Renato Iannella wrote:

> If the URN denotes that uri.host.edu is the
> name server, what can happen if the ns is down?
>
> Since the "uri" part of the hostname is not
> specified in the URN, can we try uri2.host.edu ??

DNS allows more than one IP address to be associated with a single
FQDN. Typicaly proactice now is to do a gethostbyname(), look
at the first IP address, and fail if you can't talk with it. We
want client writers to be a little more tenacious in this. Keep
the list of addresses, try one. If it fails try another. Keep
doing that until you succeed or run out of IP addresses.

--
Ron Daniel Jr.                     email: rdaniel@lanl.gov
Advanced Computing Lab             voice: (505) 665 0597