Re: Library Standards and URIs

Terry Allen (terry@ora.com)
Thu, 29 Dec 1994 14:21:51 PST

From: Terry Allen <terry@ora.com>
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 14:21:51 PST
To: Larry Masinter <masinter@parc.xerox.com>, hoymand@gate.net
Subject: Re: Library Standards and URIs
Cc: Michael.Mealling@oit.gatech.edu, uri@bunyip.com

Larry writes:
>Just as HTML doesn't require all browsers to implement all of SGML,
but allows SGML-based tools to be used on HTML documents, we could use
SGML syntax, but require that a 'URC' be in some canonical form, to
facilitate easier handling by simpler tools.

I say again, this won't work if the "canonical form" cannot be
expressed in a DTD and SGML declaration.  "Using SGML syntax" means just
that, or it doesn't mean very much at all.  Michael
Sperberg-McQueen has outlined the desirable SGML toggles for
achieving simplicity:

http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/SDG/IT94/Proceedings/Autools/sperberg-mcqueen/sperberg.html

I strongly recommend it.

Regards,

--
Terry Allen  (terry@ora.com)   O'Reilly & Associates, Inc.
Editor, Digital Media Group    103A Morris St.