Re: ClearSpec: representing implementation in W3C technical reports

> On 11 Mar 2022, at 1:13 am, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> On 3/3/22 8:04 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
>> What might be interesting is if there is an analogue for data specs?
>> Presumedly data specs are also "implemented" and have similar conformance
>> requirements for non-browser software (i.e., accompanying implementation
>> reports that lists real software that correctly parses/processes the
>> data).
>
> What we need is a caniuse.com-like dashboard (and we're actively building this
> out... for the VC/DID ecosystem). We'd love to be able to pull that data into
> the VC/DID specs, so please keep us in mind.
>
> We're currently trying to settle on a standard reporting format because each
> test suite reports results in different ways and we have no hope of providing
> something like caniuse.com if we don't standardize the data format for the
> report. How did caniuse.com and wpt.fyi address this problem?

I honestly don't know... but I figured they just structured the data around the use cases and requirements they had (i.e., building dashboards, reporting results, etc.). The WPT and caniuse formats are simple JSON: thus, easy to parse, process, transform, and work seamlessly in the browser and/or the server without the need of any fancy tooling, APIs, or software.

> So, all that to say -- we want to do the same thing, on a nightly basis, but
> with data models, and separately, HTTP APIs. Just showing "the top 4 vendors"
> is not an option for us (there's more competition in our space among vendors,
> at present).

Just a point of clarification (which may or may not apply): in browser-land at least, there are only 3 engines. For WPT results at least, it's kinda sorta - if you squint just right - supposed to reflect that.

> No firm ideas on how to solve the problem yet, but would really appreciate
> some guidance from those that have lived through the pain of this challenge.

I think it will be driven by the needs of the audiences - but there are definitely learnings that we can share that address the needs of different communities.

It might be worth spinning up a new issue at:
https://github.com/speced/speced-cg/issues/

And we can drag in the right people to discuss audiences, use cases, and requirements and throw around some design ideas.

Kind regards,
Marcos