Re: ClearSpec: representing implementation in W3C technical reports

On 3/3/22 8:04 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> What might be interesting is if there is an analogue for data specs?
> Presumedly data specs are also "implemented" and have similar conformance
> requirements for non-browser software (i.e., accompanying implementation
> reports that lists real software that correctly parses/processes the
> data).

We're hitting some of these challenges in the Verifiable Credentials and
Decentralized Identifiers WGs. The ecosystem is getting big enough (40+
implementers for DIDs, 20+ vendors implementing all things VCs), that the
market is starting to get confused over what they can safely use (it's a great
time to be a consultant! -- but that's a terrible solution to the problem).

What we need is a caniuse.com-like dashboard (and we're actively building this
out... for the VC/DID ecosystem). We'd love to be able to pull that data into
the VC/DID specs, so please keep us in mind.

We're currently trying to settle on a standard reporting format because each
test suite reports results in different ways and we have no hope of providing
something like caniuse.com if we don't standardize the data format for the
report. How did caniuse.com and wpt.fyi address this problem?

So, all that to say -- we want to do the same thing, on a nightly basis, but
with data models, and separately, HTTP APIs. Just showing "the top 4 vendors"
is not an option for us (there's more competition in our space among vendors,
at present).

The rest are just examples of what we're doing today, and we need to figure
out a way to get all of this into a unified "dashboard" (like caniuse.com):

The Verifiable Credentials Data Model provides it's implementation reports in
this way:

https://w3c.github.io/vc-test-suite/implementations/

The DID Data Model provides it's implementation reports in this way:

https://w3c.github.io/did-test-suite/#spec-statement-summary

We have NxN protocol-driven interop tests that do things like this:

http://vaxcert-interop-reports.s3-website.us-east-2.amazonaws.com/#Polio

No firm ideas on how to solve the problem yet, but would really appreciate
some guidance from those that have lived through the pain of this challenge.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/