Re: ReSpec CANDIDATE CORRECTION wizardry

Hi Manu,
Sorry for the delay. Very few of us have had the opportunity to update a REC, but it's something that will become increasingly common (i.e., few of us have experience with this so a lot of us a fumbling our way through it).

Having said that...

> On 2 Nov 2021, at 12:28 am, Manu Sporny <msporny@digitalbazaar.com> wrote:
>
> ... but it seems as if the new process requires
> you to not include the editorial changes (there were many) and only include
> the substantive ones (there were few) in the diff.

That's my understanding also...

> The result is explained to the VCWG here:
>
> https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-vc-wg/2021Oct/0010.html
>
> So, the question revolves around what tooling needs to be provided to spec
> Editors, how we can get PRs submitted in a useful form to reduce Editorial
> burden, and in general, what the plan is here?

We need to come up with something sane here... and maybe some shared JS that ReSpec and Bikeshed can use, if needed.

On the ReSpec side, we only have a bug filed:
https://github.com/w3c/respec/issues/3809

We could take up the discussion there, along with what we want to see/do to make this less painful.

For example:

 * where should we gather the list of candidate corrections/additions? In the SoTD? In their own section?
 * What do we do about inline corrections? base.css doesn't say it supports "span" elements, for instance.
 * Should people be using ins/del for these? Apparently, from a discussion elsewhere, those elements are not accessible.
 * Should we have a shared JS library? Who will maintain it?

> My suggestion would be to just
> which sections you want to have diff'd in an exportable revised REC version.

Yes, the latter would be good. We have some precedence across tooling. As I personally don't have any specs that need this right now, I haven't had a chance to think about it very deeply and come up with some good solutions. So, I'd appreciate some help with gathering further what we need and how we would like to present these changes in specifications... then we can fix up the tooling to match.