Re: ReSpec extensions

On 11/4/21 7:09 PM, Marcos Caceres wrote:
> We have a Developers Guide that describes plugins - apologies if it wasn't
> easy to find: https://github.com/w3c/respec/wiki/Developers-Guide

*doh* -- I looked, I swear. It *is* right there in the ReSpec README.md... and
on the ReSpec wiki home page.

That said, a link from here would probably help:

https://respec.org/docs/

Want me to raise a PR with a suggestion? I'm thinking an appendix called
"Developer Guide" -- I read this, so I think I know what to do:

https://respec.org/docs/#editing-this-document

I'll also read the Developers Guide before doing any of this now that I know
where it is. I have been looking for it for years, with a process that goes
like: 1) I want to add new behaviour to ReSpec, 2) Unsure of how to "add a
plugin", so I go looking for a developer guide, 3) something else blows up and
I give up, thinking I'll come back to it in a week (and I don't).

> I see in your spec that you are using the `postProcess` list already, which
> is the right thing to do for custom processing.

Ok, thx.

> To include something in the "w3c-profile" itself, we generally evaluate if
> multiple working groups would benefit from the edition. If you think many
> groups would, then I'd be happy to discuss adding that to the w3c-profile.

At present, I only expect WGs working on HTTP APIs *and* using OAS to find it
useful... which is just one WG at present. So, happy to keep it of in a corner
until there is greater demand (if ever).

The stuff I was really looking for in a Developer Guide was something like:
"Here is how you should structure your code so it's easy to use by itself, or
if you want it pulled into a respec profile in the future."

I'll try to go look at some code after reading the Developers Guide.

Thank you! I've got somewhere to start.

-- manu

Founder/CEO - Digital Bazaar, Inc.
https://www.digitalbazaar.com/