Re: Feedback sought on reorganizing the list of W3C Technical Reports

Hi Léonie,

Sorry I didn’t get back to you earlier. Your comments were forwarded to studio24 before they come up with their proposal:
https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kZEv2Cf9W5kqG1fCGtP2CNQc9sVeZNuSlbRJvx_irHo/edit?usp=sharing <https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1kZEv2Cf9W5kqG1fCGtP2CNQc9sVeZNuSlbRJvx_irHo/edit?usp=sharing>

Please find some additional comments below.

> On 11 Jan 2021, at 16:42, Léonie Watson <lwatson@tetralogical.com> wrote:
>
> A few immediate thoughts..
>
> I think labelling and categorisation is critical, and I like the idea of families as a different way to organise things.
>
> The ability to filter will be important. Off the top of my head the ways I'd want to be able to filter include:
>
> * Date
> * Family
> * State (in progress, complete, obsolete etc.)
> * Rec state (FPWD, CR etc.)

Studio24 recommended that by default, /TR would use the family layout (specifications grouped by family) as it will give a good overview of the relationships between the different specifications.Then searching/filtering would simply list the specifications matching the criteria without keeping the categorization by family. In the list of filters showed in the mockups, there are:
* a input text field to search on the title and the family name
* tags (ability to select multiple tags)
* status (specific TR status or completed/in progress documents)

The results will be ordered by date so searching by date should be easy.

> Possible other filters:
>
> * Responsible WG

The group pages actually already lists all the specifications produced by a group, e.g. https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/webrtc/publications <https://www.w3.org/groups/wg/webrtc/publications>
We might mention these pages on /TR if people are interested in a particular group deliverables.

> The ability to sort data is also likely to be helpful:
>
> * By date
> * By name (A to Z, Z to A)

Date will be the default sort but we'll forward your comment to Studio24 to include the ability to sort results by these two critiria.

> The prototype looks to have good accessibility (headings, lists, unique/informative link text etc.).
>
> One challenge will be the use of acronyms. Convention is to expand the acronym the first time it's used in a document with the acronym in parenthesis after it, but this is going to be difficult given that filtering will mean the first instance of an acronym like "CR" may change. The best idea I can come up with is to create a glossary and to link to it from somewhere reasonably easy to find on the /TR page (a W3C glossary might be a good thing to "do once, link to often" from elsewhere too come to think of it).

There will be a short description of /TR, at the top of the page, linking to /standards containing more information about the different types of documents, including the different acronyms.

Hope the proposal matches your expectations on the /TR redesign.

Denis