Re: [ReSpec] UNOFFICIAL DRAFT background

On 11/12/20 7:56 PM, Michael[tm] Smith wrote:
> Marcos Caceres <w3c@marcosc.com>, 2020-11-13 11:16 +1100:
>> To echo what Chris said, the watermark is by design: it's part of the
>> "official" W3C style sheet for all Community Group drafts and not
>> something ReSpec imposes.
>>
>> Nevertheless, it's the best the W3C community has come up with so far,
>> but we are open to suggestions.
>
> One very-specific suggestion: I’d like for it to be less intrusive in the
> case where somebody is viewing a document in dark mode (e.g., by using a
> tool like Dark Reader https://darkreader.org/) — because when I try that
> myself, the watermark really ends up getting in the way of readability.
>
> That said, I don’t know what’s possible currently to do with CSS as far as
> trying to anticipate what’ll happen when dark mode mechanisms try to adjust
> the color of a watermark background like that.

I will note that we're planning to set up dark mode styles for all W3C specs
sometime next year. We can't do it retro-actively unfortunately, because a lot
of specs assume a light background atm and we're likely to break contrast on
specs that aren't expecting it.

~fantasai