Re: ARIA roles in W3C specs to improve accessibility

From: Robin Berjon <robin@w3.org>
Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 15:37:18 +0200
To: Shane McCarron <shane@aptest.com>, "spec-prod@w3.org Prod" <spec-prod@w3.org>
On 19/04/2014 04:38 , Shane McCarron wrote:
> However, there is one change that has been requested that I think people
> *might* care about.  Some background:  ARIA roles include the role
> "main" and "complementary".  The new HTML5 element "main" will have an
> implied role of "main" once it is ratified.  In an accessible document,
> the content that is the "main" content of the document should be
> enclosed in an element with a role of "main".  Ancillary content, like
> Appendices, should be enclosed in an element with a role of
> "complementary".

The idea behind this is fine, but I don't think that appendices count as
ancillary. The references are always there for one, and they often
contain a lot of other useful information. If I were to make use of the
the repurposability that semantics afford us in order to only look at
the main content of a document (clearly a very useful use case) I would
be very surprised if the the appendices didn't show up.