Re: Please don't shout or throw things at this respec newbie

On 03/06/2013 22:40 , Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
> Robin Berjon, Mon, 03 Jun 2013 22:17:26 +0200:
>> On 03/06/2013 19:29 , Leif Halvard Silli wrote:
>>> I have filed a bug for this, 3 moths ago:
>>> https://github.com/darobin/respec/issues/157
>>>
>>> Citing myself from that bug: ”There are 5 instances of document.write
>>> in http://darobin.github.com/respec/builds/respec-w3c-common.js”
>>
>> That's actually a different bug entirely. The calls to
>> document.write() only happen on documents that are returned by
>> window.open(), which in turn should be about:blank HTML documents.
>> Your bug is still open because it's still in my list of things to
>> track properly down.
>
> Hm - I think that it is the same bug *except* that I did not understand
> what I was reporting … (I did not locate the bug.) And so I ended up
> reporting something else. :-D

Heh :) In the bug you mention "INVALID_STATE_ERR: DOM Exception 11",
which is a different type of error — so I thought it must be something else.

> The problem that Henry reported (and which is the problem I have had)
> is, I think, located in this line in require.js:
>
> b === c ? bh.appendChild(p) : U(b).appendChild(p), p.innerHTML = n[1] +
> l + n[2];
>
> Web console of Firefox says:
>
> [22:34:29.835]
>     SyntaxError:
>        An invalid or illegal string was specified @ <snip>require.js:3308
>
> Question: Should it in theory work with require.js version 2.x ?
>
> http://requirejs.org/docs/download.html#latest

The file called "require.js" in ReSpec in fact also contains jQuery
(they were easier to bundle, I forget why). That line of code is from
jQuery, so upgrading the RequireJS won't help.

That said I noted that both the RequireJS and the jQuery that were used
were pretty old, so I've updated them. But I need to test more before
releasing.

If your problem came from error code 12 too, then the fix I made for
Henry is likely to fix for you too. That said, same warning: use XHTML
at your own risk, it's not something any of the ReSpec developers ever
use (in recent history at least), and it's not tested for.