Re: EasierRDF

On Tue, 15 Feb 2022 at 14:54, William Van Woensel <
William.Van.Woensel@dal.ca> wrote:

> Hi Hugh, Melvin,
>

> Which (I say) is nowhere near as successful as the SW was intended or
> hoped to be.
> What can you offer the WebDevs, rather than you? (It is the Semantic
> *Web*, after all).
> In fact, what can you offer Frederick?
>
> [..] He is trying to do something hard, and so it is hard.
> Is that right?
> Because he seems to be saying it is easier in other technologies.
>
> (Putting this as a top-level comment because I hid it in a prior answer)
> In light of Melvin’s comments: with regards to WebDev, there have been very
> recent efforts to make RDF more usable in JS (aptly called RDF-JS
> <https://rdf.js.org/data-model-spec/>) – checkout the N3.js
> <https://github.com/rdfjs/N3.js/> and graphy.js
> <https://github.com/blake-regalia/graphy.js> libraries. Not saying it’s
> as easy to use JSON in JS (JavaScript Object Notation may have a bit of an
> unfair advantage in, well, JavaScript).
>
> One can rather easily construct JS objects that encode a simple RDF graph
> (.. discounting cycles and such), as illustrated in the graphy.js docs
> <https://graphy.link/concise#hash_c3>.
>
> This could go some way in meeting Melvin’s suggestion of using plain old
> JSON as a basis, moving to vocabulary terms as object keys (and values,
> where needed), and to (other parts of) JSON-LD (not *such* a big leap
> actually) if folks are interested. I’m still unsure about the “first” step
> in this sequence, however, since I don’t know where the terms “name”,
> “born”, etc. are coming from; it’d become quite a mess if everyone is just
> using their own custom terminology.

RDF JS was a nice idea when it started, and it still is

However, inevitably it goes in the direction of more complexity.  In this
case adding RDF*

https://github.com/rdfjs-base/data-model/pull/24

IMHO a less complex semantic web would fill a void that exists today