Re: Chartering work has started for a Linked Data Signature Working Group @W3C

On Tue, May 04, 2021 at 10:04:48AM +0100, Graham Klyne wrote:
> Tangentially to the ensuing thread, I've just noticed an IETF discussion
> about JSON signing, which might conceivably result in overlapping work:
>
> https://mailarchive.ietf.org/arch/browse/art/?gbt=1&index=DTd5hq7-RhFSlELo2t19yuM-Z-g
>
> It occurs to me that an effort to standardize JSON canonicalization might
> end up with a different to that for linked data/JSON-LD... (You know: "The
> great thing about standards is... there are so many to choose from" :)

I think <https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-jordan-jws-ct/> is
documenting a very specialized current existing practice of signing
rfc8785 (JCS) hashes. I believe Linked Data Proofs ("LDI" in the
current charter proposal) is more abstract on two axes:

1. it identifies the hashing algorithm so it can be used to sign JSON,
   XML, and, if while we're at it, RDF.

2. it defines both an RDF graph structure and a specific JSON-LD
   framing for that structure.

It would be cool if LDI's JSON-LD representation were attractive
enough to be used for JWS/CT use cases and maybe have JWS/CT be
defines as a lean form of LDProofs with a fixed hashing algorithm.

P.S. The current Cc includes two addrs for danbri. Let's add more so
we can deluge him in identical content.