Re: Chartering work has started for a Linked Data Signature Working Group @W3C

On Thu, May 06, 2021 at 12:02:52AM -0400, Manu Sporny wrote:
> On 5/4/21 1:13 PM, Eric Prud'hommeaux wrote:
> > > The Linked Data Signatures signing algorithm consists of 4 phases:
> > >
> > > 1. Canonicalization of input data
> > > 2. Cryptographic hashing
> > > 3. Digitally signing
> > > 4. Expressing the signature
> > >
> > > RDF really only comes into play in steps #1 and #4... and it's possible for it
> > > to not come into play at all.
> >
> > Isn't the same true of XML dsig (or any other canonicalized signature stack)?
>
> Ha! You're absolutely right. I over-generalized. Hmmm... thinking.
>
> Let's take a concrete example in JSON-LD. In step #1, you can choose to do
> RDF Dataset Canonicalization or JCS. Then you do step #2, and #3, no
> problem. When you go to express the signature in #4, you can express it in
> JSON-LD, but when you do this, someone doing just regular 'ol JSON can use
> the data too.
>
> In this scenario, there are a subset of developers that never go to RDF (and
> it's valid and works for their use case).

I think enabling this use case may be crux of the issue.

The change from "Linked Data Dataset Hash" to "RDF Dataset Hash"
addressed my main concearn. The deliverables map to your phases above:

1. RDF Dataset Canonicalization starting from [RDC]. satisfies phase 1

2. RDF Dataset Hash starting from [RDH]. satisfies phase 2

4. Linked Data Security Vocabulary provides types and predicates for...

3. Linked Data Integrity provides algorithms and concrete syntax for phase 3 and 4.

I take your point is that LDI is not RDF Data Integrity because it can
be used for anything that can have a proof property wedged into it. To
that end, it's not limited to Linked Data either. It's just a JSON
signature that can be wedged into any object in a JSON tree that
doesn't have a conflicting use of the `proof` member. What if it were
just a "JSON Proof Object"?

The refs to [RDC1] and [CFIE] seem not like working group guidance but
(AC) reviewer orientation. Basically, "we [meaing y'all] did the maths".
See <https://github.com/w3c/lds-wg-charter/pull/70>.

tiny nits not worth a PR:
PROPOSE: s/defines a formal RDF Vocabulary/defines a RDF Vocabulary/ # seems pretentious
PROPOSE: s/Linked Data Integrity deliverable/<a href="#hash">Linked Data Integrity deliverable</a>/

[RDC]
title: RDF Dataset Canonicalization
url: https://json-ld.github.io/rdf-dataset-canonicalization/spec/index.html

[RDH]
title: Linked Data Proofs 1.0
url: https://w3c-ccg.github.io/ld-proofs/

[RDC1]
title: RDF Dataset Canonicalization
url: https://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-credentials/2021Mar/att-0220/RDFDatasetCanonicalization-2020-10-09.pdf

[CFIE]
title: Canonical Forms for Isomorphic and Equivalent RDF Graphs: Algorithms for Leaning and Labelling Blank Nodes
url: http://aidanhogan.com/docs/rdf-canonicalisation.pdf