Re: neural networks being purported as KR?

Yes. Both are mathematical and computational models for "cognition" (for
lack of a better term). They just have rather different features.

The deep divide between both paradigms (including in terms of community)
is very unfortunate, but due to many reasons, some of them historic.

Some resources to look into a more unified perspective:

https://arxiv.org/abs/1711.03902 - this is from a cognitive science
perspective.

http://www.semantic-web-journal.net/content/neural-symbolic-integration-and-semantic-web
- with more of a focus on semantic web issues

http://neural-symbolic.org/ - a community which has kept an integrated
view alive during the AI winter. Right now, it's bubbling up larger-scale.

P.

--
Pascal Hitzler
Brage Golding Distinguished Professor of Research