Re: neural networks being purported as KR?

I'm assuming that "decision tree" refers to something like graph reasoning.  When I studied Bayesian graph reasoning & Hidden
Markov, it seemed clear, logical, and a pure form of what we do for reasoning.  And then you get to the sticky problem of actually
training a network that implements a lot of interesting logic, reasoning, knowledge, etc.  My understanding of the situation was
that training those networks for any interesting or reasonably complex problem was still a mostly unsolved problem.

I view ML as generally solving the same problems that those methods solve (but also more), but as having a completely practical and
pragmatic training mechanism for some problems and promising avenues for most other problems.  ML is about equal to graph reasoning,
but with far better training techniques.  I think it is possible to prove that in some sense.

Stephen

--
Stephen D. Williams sdw@lig.net stephendwilliams@gmail.com
Hangouts:stephendwilliams@gmail.com AIM:sdw Skype:StephenDWilliams