Re: [External] Re: The Joy of NULLs (not)

The situation is slightly more complex than that.
NULL values in standard SQL are exactly defined as letting any equality involving a NULL value fail.
Note that the string 'NULL' represents a NULL value, namely if you type the string NULL into a cell of type STRING then it is understood to be a NULL value.
This is where the implementors failed: a NULL value is never equal to itself.
This can be understood with the following standard SQL example (try it!).

With the database:

TABLE: col1 | col2
       -----+-----
         a  |  b
         b  | NULL

the query (meant to be the identity query, namely returning the input table itself):

SELECT * FROM TABLE
WHERE TABLE.col1 = TABLE.col1 AND TABLE.col2 = TABLE.col2 ;

gives the result:

col1 | col2
  a  |  b

In SQL, the query above returns the table TABLE if and only if the table TABLE does not have any NULL value, otherwise it returns just the tuples not containing a NULL value, i.e., in this case only the first tuple <a,b>. Informally this is due to the fact that a SQL NULL value is never equal (or not equal) to anything, including itself. This is because a SQL NULL value represents the absence of a value.

Note that this is where SQL NULL values are radically different from RDF bnodes. Indeed a bnode is EQUAL to itself but different from any other bnode. This is because a RDF bnode represents the existence of an unknown value.

--e.