Re: Standardizing N3/Rules, was Re: ✅ Literals as subjects Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

From: David Booth <david@dbooth.org>
Date: Tue, 27 Nov 2018 19:43:02 -0500
To: semantic-web@w3.org
Cc: Nathan Rixham <nathan@webr3.org>
On 11/27/18 9:15 AM, Nathan Rixham wrote:
>     *Call to action:* who would support and/or join a W3C community
>     group around an N3 rule language?  . . . .
> Anybody else?

I like the uniformity of N3, though I'm not ready to commit quite yet.
I would also hope that we could have an easy way to add custom rules,
such as by providing a JavaScript/Python/whatever implementation of a
magic predicate, or something along those lines.

OTOH, I'm also toying with the idea of a JavaScript-based RDF language.
It would require considerably more work to figure out what it should be,
but it could immediately have two enormous benefits:

  - Based on the world's most popular programming language (by a large
margin)[1]; and

  - It could immediately have the "inference" power of a full-fledged
programming language, for manipulating RDf.   By "inference" I mean
broadly any rule or process that takes one set of assertions and
produces a new set of assertions.

David Booth