Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

I admit that my gut reaction is that the open world design is what makes the semantic web unique and what might eventually hopefully facilitate some decentralized, deeply interconnected, majestically glowing... Therefor I’m tempted to ask back why you don’t just use SQL or MongoDB and some web framework for whatever closed world application you’re building.
OTOH I agree that formal semantics - and logic in general - are often so unwieldy and so underpowered compared to what humans *just do* by intuition that it’s very tempting to get rid of them by closing the world and *just get it done*, *you know what I mean* style.

So, say we could fix some notoriously intimidating semantics/logic to sensible defaults like e.g. close the world, make identification default to indication/labeling, tame blank nodes, canonicalize all the things, keep out most of OWL etc - would the resulting closed world applications still be able to talk each other in a meaningful way? Could they still participate in an open semantic web? What would it take to keep that possibility open - just a semweb head going over the finished code once, adjusting some levers, making some implicit semantics explicit? Then it might indeed be worth it. But if we just end up with even more closed world applications and the only gain is that they use a triple store instead of a NoSQL store, and RDF instead of JSON, then I wouldn’t be very enthusiastic.

Thomas