Re: "Language-tagged strings Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal"

Ah, absolutely right.
Thanks.

I was trying to create the equivalence of the @, but failed.
> If "shower" and "shower" are not English nouns but just strings,
> then they aren't English anything, are they?

Firstly I guess that "shower"@en and "shower"@en-us are different strings, so my suggestion is not equivalent.
(Although I guess that datatypes can be split out without changing the meaning.)
I do think of "shower" as a collection of letters that happens to be a word (or words) in English.
And in that sense both the @en and an RDF property say the same thing (I think!).

But actually it does bring up some interesting issues.

It might be a good thing.
To elaborate, if I am using a resource about, say, Mozart, it is likely that there will be dozens of rdfs:label (and foaf:name and skos:prefLabel etc.), one for each language (actually we should be saying locale) provided.
In the normal way of modelling this, each of the different language strings will be different.
Is it possibly better to have a single instance for each unique string rendering, and associate locales with it?
Having things separate and more easily SPARQLable can be easier.

It is much easier to choose languages, and one could for example easily find out which are the most common renderings, or list all the different renderings.

Best

--
Hugh
023 8061 5652