Re: rdf.stackexchange.com -- Identity problems numbers 3 and 5 - was Re: Toward easier RDF: a proposal

FWIW, in Oct. 2009, a certain Andrew Matthews created a web site for Q&A
on semantic web technologies, called Semantic Overflow
(semanticoverflow.com). The software used on this site was Stack
Exchange 1.0. It was good, it was fresh, it was lively.

A little later, Stack Exchange launched Area 51. I seem to recall that
someone tried to get a Stack Exchange instance on semantic web topics
via Area 51 in circa 2010, but it never flew up.

In the meantime, in 2011, Semantic Overflow was acquired by a company
called semanticweb.com (now Dataversity). semanticoverflow.com ceased to
work and redirected to answers.semanticweb.com. This new site was not
using the Stack Exchange engine. The software in place there really
sucked in comparison to SE. Slowly but surely, users of
stackoverflow.com went away from the site, using Stack Overflow more and
more instead. Quality on answers.semanticweb.com went down the floor and
the site finally shut down.

When answers.semanticeb.com was in terminal stage (yet not clinically
dead) in ~2015, someone proposed a new semantic web Stack Exchange site
on Area 51. This one neither got the critical mass required to launch
the site for real. It was deleted.

I find that a Q&A site on semweb tech is missing but I'm not optimistic
that it will happen on Stack Exchange anytime soon.

Of course, you can use Stack Overflow for some technical questions on
semweb tech, you can use Open Data Stack Exchange for some Linked Open
Data questions, you can use Data Science Stack Exchange for some data
analysis questions, you can use Artificial Intelligence SE for questions
on KR & reasoning, etc.

But you cannot use Stack Overflow for all legitimate semantic web
questions. You cannot use Open Data SE for all semantic web questions.

Consider for example the question "What are the success stories of the
Semantic Web/Linked Data?" asked on 22nd August 2010 on Semantic
Overflow. I'd say it is a legitimate semantic web question, but
according to Stack Overflow's policy, it would probably get closed
there. And it does not relate to open data, so it should be closed too
on Open Data SE.

I extracted a few questions from the late answers.semanticweb.com, that
most likely would not last on SO if they were asked there:

https://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/QA/q.html
https://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/QA/q2.html
https://www.emse.fr/~zimmermann/QA/q3.html

I would like to see a place where those questions can be asked and
answered and stay.

--AZ

--
Antoine Zimmermann