Re: Refurbished draft thoughts...

From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
Date: Sat, 29 Jul 2017 10:53:20 -0400
To: Sebastian Samaruga <ssamarug@gmail.com>, W3C Semantic Web IG <semantic-web@w3.org>, public-rww <public-rww@w3.org>, DBpedia <Dbpedia-discussion@lists.sourceforge.net>, pragmaticweb@lists.spline.inf.fu-berlin.de
On 7/29/17 2:05 AM, Sebastian Samaruga wrote:

> It's just thoughts about making what HTML did for 'web' applications
> but for SW (RDF) instead for 'whatever' applications...
>
> My point should be that SW should not have as much 'trouble' as HTML
> did for being useful having 'real' business applications (beside
> academia) running on top of it.
>
> We could skip much of the cumbersome work that was trying to build use
> cases over a distributed *document* edition system (with all the
> 'amendments' it imposed) trying to build applications over a
> distributed *data* edition and linking framework.
>
> At least for what I know we only have (lots of) protocols...
>
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1OqsVn6uo0cr6qruzWj9yRASrmvAIAf4HsHuLS2aRSy8/edit?usp=drivesdk
>
> Best regards,
> Seb.

Hi Sebastian,

HTML exposed the Web by way of User Agents (e.g. Browsers) that
implemented support. The notion of a Semantic Web requires extending
said Browsers to understand other hypermedia document types, which has
also been the challenge for many years.

While a lot of work has occurred re., building out the server-side
infrastructure for webby structured data (using RDF Language and LInked
Data principles), the end-user productivity side of things has been
playing catch-up.

Anyway, here are some client-side related applications and projects
aimed at building on the HTML+Browser foundation to expose the virtues
of a Read-Write Semantic Web of Linked Data:

[1] http://osds.openlinksw.com -- Structured Data Sniffer Browser Extension

[2] http://osde.openlinksw.com -- Structured Data Editor

[3] http://youid.openlinksw.com -- Verifiable Identity based WebID and
WebID+TLS protocol (while also supporting other authentication protocols)

[4] http://dokie.li -- Read-Write Editor and Social Sharing combo that
doesn't leave your work in a silo, while also leverage features from
items above (e.g, use of YouID)

Screencast Demo Links:

[1] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vOr6fthFB4 -- Taking and saving notes

[2] https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B-yrSU1qx4s -- Controlling access to
content derived from note-taking activity

Links:

[1]
https://medium.com/openlink-software-blog/semantic-web-layer-cake-tweak-explained-6ba5c6ac3fab
-- Semantic Web Layer Cake illustration tweak, explained.

I hope this helps!

--
Regards,

Kingsley Idehen