Re: Updating the VoID spec

On 5 August 2015 at 12:17, Phil Archer <phila@w3.org> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> Following the demise of rdfs.org [1] and INSIGHT's statement of intent to
> maintain vocab.deri.ie [2], we need to update the specification document at
> http://www.w3.org/TR/void/
>
> The current version [3] points to the rdfs.org namespace of course.
>
> I've created a GitHub repository for the SWIG [4] and, within that, have had
> a first pass at updating the voID document [5].
>
> The offer remains on the table to host the VoID vocabulary at
> www.w3.org/ns/void. At the time of writing, vocab.deri.ie remains
> unavailable.
>
> The major change is, of course, the change in namespace, but there are many
> references in that document that are out of date so I've had to do more than
> just search and replace the namespace URI. For example, since VoID was
> written, RDF 1.1 has been finalised etc. Changes are listed in the change
> log at the end of the document.
>
> The W3C process for updating the document is pretty simple in this case [6].
> We just need to make sure that members of this Interest Group - i.e. this
> mailing list - are content with the changes and then Dan, as SWIG chair, can
> call a vote (by e-mail).
>
> The doc in the GH repo has a suggested date for the new publication of 18
> August but there's no need to feel tied to that. If you want write access to
> the repo, please just let me know your relevant ID. Suggestions for
> improvements are welcome of course.

Thanks for starting this discussion, Phil.

My strong preference would be for W3C (via this IG, a Community Group
and/or the Data Activity leadership) to take over high level
stewardship of the rdfs.org domain, if that option is available. The
actual content of the site would best be handled in wider community
rather than as a W3C formal activity. Main thing is to keep the domain
alive and with relevant content since (as Dave points out) namespace
migrations are costly.

As you know I believe there is a useful role for W3C is keeping such
domain names safe for future generations. The RDFS work will be 20
years old in 2017, I'm sure there are other domains which could need
similar care.

If it would help build a case for W3C taking on a DNS oversight role,
we can throw FOAF's xmlns.com domain into the bucket too, plus a
donation adequate to cover the DNS fees for a few decades.

Failing that, I'd suggest migrating to a www.w3.org/ns URL rather than
a new one that bakes in the name of a now non-existing organization.
If we are going to the trouble of changing things, why not change to a
domain that is easier for community input? (no disrespect intended to
the INSIGHT team, who I'm sure will continue DERI's strong tradition
of RDF work).

Dan