RE: vCard Ontology WD Updated

From: Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Oct 2013 11:51:23 +0200
To: "'Renato Iannella'" <ri@semanticidentity.com>
Cc: <semantic-web@w3.org>
On Thursday, October 24, 2013 2:39 AM, Renato Iannella wrote:
> On 23 Oct 2013, at 05:07, Markus Lanthaler <markus.lanthaler@gmx.net>
> wrote:
>
> > I've started to work on this today and noticed that the ontology is
somewhat
> > inconsistent in regard to strings. In some cases you language-tag them
(e.g.
> > vcard:adr's rdfs:label), in some you don't (e.g. vcard:adr's
rdfs:comment),
> > and in other you type them as xsd:string (e.g. vcard:Home's rdfs:label).
> > think it would make sense to consolidate all of them to language- tagged
> > strings or is there are reason for the current state?
>
> I think this was due to changing rdf/owl editors during the development
> of the new ontology.
> (Note: It seems in Protege that you can only select the Type _or_ the
> Lang of a property, not both?)

That's due to a limitation in RDF. The only type that can be language-tagged
is rdf:langString (note, not rdf:string!). In RDF 1.0 language-tagged
strings didn't have any type.

> We will update with both string and lang.

Ignore string and just set lang, that's enough. They will be implicitly
typed to rdf:langString in RDF1.1 tools. I think you should also add a
rdfs:definedBy pointing the ontology itself to every concept.

--
Markus Lanthaler
@markuslanthaler