Re: Semantic Web for the Film Industry

Dave, my 2 cents on this...

At the risk of stating the bleedin' obvious, one thing to bear in mind
is that what one thinks of as 'a film' has many different versions. Not
just languages and Directors' Cuts but different versions for cinema, in
flight showing, TV and so on (this work, expression, manifestation,
item, not 'movie.')

This is potentially important for, among many others, things like age
classifications. I've been trying to get the film classification boards
to publish their data as RDF for years and am hopeful of making some
sort of progress before long. Folk like the BBFC and NICAM (Kijkwijzer)
are the most likely to be the first to do this. Of course
classifications are a small part of the puzzle but it would be good to
make sure that all the pieces fit together.

Bear in mind that IMDB identifiers, whilst being very useful in
practical terms, are not liked by the industry because they're
proprietary (everything about Amazon is, right?) and IMDB isn't always
accurate (what data set is?). ISAN is worth a look - that's more
industry-focussed (http://www.isan.org/).

HTH

Phil.

--