Re: natural language visual interface for SPARQL

Paola,
Love your reply!

I suppose there is something like internet philosophy, I should check it
out?

It occurs to me that I am a person who likes small, myself, a few others, a
small work group. But I am interested in something that is intrinsically
very big (actually the eponymous Big Data behind all the development of the
internet) which I simultaneously find thrilling and disturbing.
I can pin point this to issues of identity which I hope I may one day
elaborate through some writing. (I am practising as a psychotherapist now.)
I think Lacan has something to offer here but unfortunately he cloaked what
he had to say in his own inimitable and highly obscure style for, I think,
his own dubious reasons.
I'm going to try The Social Conquest of Earth by EO Wilson.

I think the contribution of Lacan is that we have urges, curiosity and
phantasies towards what are actually generalised concepts, for instance the
Other (l'Autre) also discussed by different writers as Otherness.
We need to know what a discusion is as well as what the subject matter or
that discusion (l'Autre) is.
Surely in these gigantic fluid data sets is to be found the Other, that is
to say our phantasy ideas of what the Other is which are determined by what
we want the Other to mean to us.
I know I am drifting into obscurity myself. But what I am saying is to do
with my initial observation that I have strong emotional responses to the
sense of huge data sets about many other people or groups of people.
At some level it is personal pathology, but on some other level it is a
basis for me to infer similar feelings in other people and to point out
that these feelings are only amplified and accelerated by the internet.

Advertisers, who have long been in the game of manipulation by setting
trends through the creation of artificial ambiant structures, seize on the
eye ball pulling power of the internet as a new means of influencing
people, getting under their skin by influencing norms at group level. I
think they are just beginning to learn how to do this successfully. Their
purpose is to give someone a sense of being in association with some
product. Much could be written about this too.
But one thing is clear, the notion of being on the inside, complying with
the norm, or on the outside and left out, is central to this manipulation.
That plays on feelings directed towards l'Autre through a series of
falsifications aimed at obscuring reality, but resolves none of our fears.
Of course, it is this last point that makes it pernicious and dangerous.

Adam