Re: Best Practice for Renaming OWL Vocabulary Elements

On Wed, May 18, 2011 at 8:38 PM, Ryan Kohl <ryanckohl@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why stop there - why not posit a rewrite of the RDF, RDFS, and OWL
> vocabularies according to this naming protocol:

I would if I had control. Where I have control I am - there will be a
new version of RO, for example, that does this.

?

> But for situations where A-BOX querying is central (like most linked data
> scenarios), these meaningless URIs just get in the way.

In the OBO id policy document I've listed what I consider gets in the
way of using meaningful ids. I see exactly two problems with using
"meaningless" ids, both of which I consider to be symptoms of
short-sightedness or lack of imagination or lack of appreciation of
computer science.

1) SPARQL has to be written in terms of ids only. Why isn't there the
ability to import modules? Why isn't there a simple macro system?
2) People want to write machine-directed messages in text editors.

There has been much done in computer science to manage abstraction and
modularity, none of which has been applied in the SPARQL spec. As far
as (2) goes, I don't see many people writing postscript in text
editors, yet somehow postscript is a successful language. What should
we learn from this?

>  Remember that many
> linked data scenarios will find sparql queries embedded in Java, Python, and
> C++ code.  It seems a bit much to expect a query writer/developer to
> maintain literally unreadable source code.

Absolutely. And a little bit of education and mentoring in good
software development practices would go a long way in making this not
happen. There's no reason why SPARQL (or SQL) should be embedded in
computer code. Query text should be considered a resource, in the same
way that savvy developers consider natural language strings a resource
(and thus enable easy internationalization).

Have a look at http://obi.svn.sourceforge.net/viewvc/obi/trunk/src/tools/build/external-templates.txt?revision=3210&view=markup

This is how we manage SPARQL in OBI. It lives in a separate file as
template and is interpreted by a program, which does substitution.
Think ".h" files, or css versus html versus javascript.

-Alan