Re: IRIs vs. URIs in SPARQL spec

On Sun, 2011-03-06 at 13:45 -0500, Bob DuCharme wrote:
> The SPARQL specs says in two places that "IRIs are a subset of RDF URI
> References that omits spaces." I have trouble seeing it as a subset for
> two reasons:
>
> 1. The  http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc3987.txt document that it references
> says that it "defines a new protocol element called Internationalized
> Resource Identifier (IRI) by extending the syntax of URIs to a much
> wider repertoire of characters."

Note that those statements in the SPARQL spec are not about URIs but
about "RDF URI References" [1], these are not the same thing. RDF URI
References were an attempt by the RDF Core WG to be compatible with IRIs
before the IRI spec was finalized - an attempt which was very successful
apart from the the handling of spaces.

Dave

[1]
http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#section-Graph-URIref