Re: Unicode Character Database in RDF?

From: Felix Sasaki <felix.sasaki@fh-potsdam.de>
Date: Wed, 5 Jan 2011 12:27:05 +0100
To: Gerard de Melo <gdemelo@mpi-inf.mpg.de>
Cc: Bernard Vatant <bernard.vatant@mondeca.com>, Sampo Syreeni <decoy@iki.fi>, Ivan Herman <ivan@w3.org>, Shane Norris <norlesh@gmail.com>, W3C Semantic Web IG <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hello Gerard,

2011/1/5 Gerard de Melo <gdemelo@mpi-inf.mpg.de>

> Hello Shane and others,
>
>  Unless I miss something, Unicode characters as linked data have been
>>> published for quite a while by Gerard de Melo (in cc) at
>>> http://lexvo.org
>>> See e.g., http://lexvo.org/id/char/5A34
>>>

>> If I understand the request from Shane right, he focuses not on Unicode
>> characters, but the Unicode character database. The latter has a lot of
>> information e.g. about character properties available (see
>> http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/properties.jsp ) which is not
>> incooperated
>> into lexvo.org
>>

> As the maintainer of Lexvo.org, I could easily add a few additional
> character properties to the Lexvo ontology and RDF dump based
> on the particular use cases you are interested in. So far, I have
> tried to avoid creating a 1:1 mapping of all properties to predicates.

This makes a lot of sense, since otherwise you get many triples without use
cases. Also, there are differences between the properties in terms of
stability and data sources. See
http://www.unicode.org/Public/5.1.0/ucd/UCD.html for what is available in
version 5.1. Note also that there is information about characters which is
not in the properties' data base, e.g. whether a character can be used in an
internationlized domain name or not, see
http://unicode.org/cldr/utility/idna.jsp . So again, it really depends on
the use case what information you want in the RDF representation.

Felix