From: Kingsley Idehen <kidehen@openlinksw.com>
To: public-lod@w3.org
Cc: "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
Sent: Wednesday, August 17, 2011 1:37 PM
Subject: Re: Vote for my Semantic Web presentation at SXSW

On 8/17/11 12:13 PM, adasal wrote:
If you ever want to see a time when 'killer apps' are possible again, it would be wise to group the sheep so the likes and dislikes (of the heard) take on semantic form, because the sheep and the shepherd answer the question "How many Triples in an Identity ?" quite differently.

>Ah ha - someone understands - a bit.

Since I am truly tired of repetitive debates, I refer you to my
    recent G+ post about structured profiles [1][2] :-)

I can assure of this: the Semantic Web vision isn't a solution
    looking for a problem. Same applies to Linked Data which delivers a
    critical foundation (structured data) component to this broad
    vision.

Links:

1. http://goo.gl/PpDhS -- post about G+ profile in Linked Data form with some interesting comments

2. http://goo.gl/2Rqx1 -- using WebID (an application) Linked Data to kill off SPAM via semantically enhanced mail filters .

--  Regards, Kingsley Idehen
President & CEO
OpenLink Software
Web: http://www.openlinksw.com Weblog: http://www.openlinksw.com/blog/~kidehen Twitter/Identi.ca: kidehen

Adam

>On 17 August 2011 15:50, Gannon Dick <gannon_dick@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> Nice rant Sampo :o) I might have agreed 100% five years ago.
       I'd have to downgrade that to 90% today.  Economies are consumer
      poor (but not necessarily producer/resource rich) in these days
      and a 'killer app' requires a pressing information need to
      dominate.  In other words, Hollandaise Sauce is a 'killer app',
      only as long as you have plenty of butter and eggs laying around.

>> The Semantic Web provides a way out, but FOAF, IMHO, is
      exactly the wrong way to go about it.  Governance should be the
      search normal, and for the Semantic Web, it is.  The Commercial
      imperative is to shear as many sheep as possible in the shortest
      amount of time.  That goal is self-limiting because the sheep are
      not happy with it at the moment.  No one, it seems, thought the
      sheep's opinion, or capabilities mattered.

>> If you ever want to see a time when 'killer apps' are
      possible again, it would be wise to group the sheep so the likes
      and dislikes (of the heard) take on semantic form, because the
      sheep and the shepherd answer the question "How many Triples in an
      Identity ?" quite differently.

>> --Gannon

      SXSW
>>> To: "Juan Sequeda" <juanfederico@gmail.com>
>>> Cc: "Semantic Web" <semantic-web@w3.org>, "public-lod" <public-lod@w3.org>
>>> Date: Tuesday, August 16, 2011, 7:15 PM

>>> together to submit panels and presentations about
      Semantic
>>> Web to SXSW. Unfortunately, it has barely been
      successful.
>>> [...]
>>>
>>> I think it's not successful because the Semantic Web
      itself
>>> is not successful. It still lacks a killer app, and the
>>> integration, and especially the visual candy that rules
      over
>>> everything else, adoption-wise. It's still a solution in
>>> search of a real problem.
>>>
>>> One of the surest signs to me is that pretty much every
>>> SemWeb presentation I've seen a) starts with the same,
>>> already-tired, academic litany of theoretical promises, a
>>> layer cake or whathaveyou, and b) is presented by
      somebody
>>> supported by a grant/tenure/government salary/whatever. I
>>> see absolutely *no* stuff from private, venture funded
>>> entrepreneurs which tell me they successfully solved a
>>> pressing, real life problem using SemWeb technology, and
>>> because of the tech, more rapidly retired with a hefty
      trust
>>> fund.
>>>
>>> Because that, honest to God, is the only criterion of a
>>> Solution. It's the criterion *even* if the technology was
>>> primarily poised to solve a problem of a public goods
      nature
>>> where you have to go through the nasty gymnastics of
>>> convincing a government to make its data open, and
      linked.
>>> That's just not going to happen unless the private sector
      is
>>> already thriving around your data model, vision,
      solution,
>>> usability and consumer candy-appeal. What instead happens
      is
>>> that you flat out lose to PDF (textual description of
      your
>>> data), and in particular to Facebook (dynamic, social
>>> description, again over unstructured text).
>>>
>>> Now, I'm not saying SemWeb is dead in the water. Far from
>>> it: I'm a big believer in the basic principles of it. But
      as
>>> of now, the focus remains totally wrong. First, FOAF has
>>> lingered on as a potential killer app for a while, and
>>> stagnated. Second, I'm seeing no Android/iOS/HTML5 apps
>>> which make serious use of the semantic web, *while
>>> substantially and measurably benefiting from it*. Third,
>>> that's prolly because the plumbing isn't there or is too
>>> heavy to be deployed incrementally and/or cheaply.
      Fourth,
>>> heavy duty data really doesn't sit too well with the
      basic
>>> encodings like RDF/XML; or would you happily run your
>>> production database over it/them? Fifth, where's the
      truly
>>> transparent and user-satisfying integration with
      established
>>> media? Et cetera, ad infinitum.
>>>
>>> The semantic web holds great promise, but it always has
>>> been and sadly seems to remain more of an academic
      exercise
>>> than something truly practicable and profitable. More a
>>> tentative solution to a hypothetical problem, than a real
>>> solution to a pressing need. Then, it stagnates for lack
      of
>>> profitable investment, as it has for its entire duration.
>>> Like some relic, preserved by W3C's saving graces or
>>> reverence to TimBL The Great Weaver.
>>>
>>> I think instead we should have a fast and dirty triple
>>> serving protocol, or perhaps even a protocol which breaks
>>> with the triple model as such for efficiency. Then a
      flashy
>>> app for distributed social networking, based on some
      revived
>>> derivative of FOAF, on *all* of the app stores around.
>>> Embeddable and integrable. That'd already go *miles*
      towards
>>> adoption. Then do the same for the rest of the Linked
      Data.