Re: First order logic and SPARQL

On 7 Sep 2010, at 19:13, Adrian Walker wrote:

> Hi Axel & All --
>
> Axel wrote .....you don't want to translate your datalog program into SPARQL and evaluate it with a sparql engine, that is likely not going to be very efficient...
>
> So, does DERI have a datalog engine that's more efficient than SQL/SPARQL over LARGE databases?
>
> For datalog + NAF?
>
> For stratified recursive datalog + NAF?

"you don't want to translate your datalog program into SPARQL and evaluate it with a sparql engine, that is likely not going to be very efficient..."

Sorry, my bad/momentary brain outgage, see last mail (it's been a long day today, sorry, ;-) )...  the dlvdb system [1] which I mentioned there, does exactly that... however, for recursive rules they still use the datalog engine's machinery, since recursive views are typically not implemented very efficiently within SQL DBs.

cheers,
Axel

1. G. Terracina, N. Leone, V. Lio, C. Panetta, Experimenting with recursive queries in database and logic programming systems, Theory and Practice of Logic Programming (TPLP), 8(2), 129-165, 2008. (Paper listed in the Computing Research Repository (CoRR) - http://arxiv.org/corr/home - CoRR number: 0704.3157).