RDF URI References

From: Nathan <nathan@webr3.org>
Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2010 13:29:49 +0000
To: Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
Hi All,

In virtually every bit of RDF documentation I ever read, URI references
are mentioned, from the rdf semantics through concepts and in the wild.

However, the definition of an "RDF URI Reference" is:

  "an absolute URI with optional fragment identifier"

http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/REC-rdf-concepts-20040210/#dfn-URI-reference

General understanding (afaict) being that if it's got a fragment, then
it's a URI Reference.

However, if you take a look at the URI spec RFC 3986, you'll see that
"an absolute URI with an optional fragment identifier" is the very
definition of 'URI' and not 'URI Reference'.

   URI         = scheme ":" hier-part [ "?" query ] [ "#" fragment ]

see: http://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc3986#section-3

So, why are we all saying URI Reference, and talking about URI
References when in fact we mean 'URI, not URI-Reference'?

Best,

Nathan