Re: Alternatives to containers/collections (was Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0")

From: Danny Ayers <danny.ayers@gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 2010 11:18:55 +0100
To: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, Steve Harris <steve.harris@garlik.com>, Semantic Web <semantic-web@w3.org>
2010/1/15 Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>:

Your thinking out loud makes a lot of sense (not for the first time,
you should do it more often...)

But I'm not sure about this bit:

> I think the underlying requirement here is to be able to talk about
> packets of information larger than simple flat triples, and to not be
> forced to invent fictional entities simply as an artifact of the need
> to package such information together.

Real-world information is often tied together with tenuous links, and
placeholders for entities we don't actually know about. We create
conceptual artifacts for the interstices (bleah, flowery language).
You yourself have talked in the past of the value of description by
(potentially indirect) reference, IMHO it's a perfectly reasonable
paradigm to take on board, and in itself can turn flat triples into
multi-layered, *interesting* structures.

Cheers,
Danny.

--
http://danny.ayers.name