Re: Requirements for a possible "RDF 2.0"

Hi -

I haven't been significantly involved with the RDF community, but have
taken an interest in RDF, not for describing web resources, but in the
context of data stored and processed by enterprises. Here's my 2c.

On first looking at the RDF spec, I couldn't understand the reasoning
behind it, or see why the definitions were as they were - they seemed to
be completely counter-intuitive in some cases. But, when I tried to use
it, I found that most of these definitions were sensible and useful. (I
would make exceptions for containers and reification, which I've never
needed or - in the case of reification - understood).

I do believe that RDF has serious potential for application to things
that are described by enterprise data. It may have started with the idea
that everything should be identified by URIs, but this is not a
necessary assumption, and RDF is even perfectly usable if you assume
that nothing has a URI.

It is the only thing that we have remotely resembling an accepted
standard computer language for describing "things". My impression is
that use of it is increasing. My recommendation is to leave it
substantially as it is - perhaps making small changes such as you
propose - and continue to encourage its wider acceptance.