Re: Semantics of rdf:Statement

From: Dan Brickley <danbri@danbri.org>
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 2010 09:24:44 +0100
To: Melvin Carvalho <melvincarvalho@gmail.com>
Cc: Pat Hayes <phayes@ihmc.us>, darood <samatar.sharmarke@gmail.com>, semantic-web@w3.org
>>> •       “neighbour of” - Symmetric
>>
>> Yes. This is its own inverse.
>
> Hoping not to be pedantic but im curious as to whether this is a valid case:
>
> I am neighbour of noisey teenagers
>
> does that imply
>
> (All?) Noisey teenagers are neighbours of me?

Yes, if eg:neighbour is a purely geographic / spatial / housing
arrangement relationship.

Of course (like 'likes'), being a GOOD neighbour is sadly not
symmetric. Alice can be a good neighbour to Bob without reciprocation.
But that's a different relationship really. We might also say that
eg:good_neighbour is a subPropertyOf eg:neighbour since whenever
someone is someone else's eg:good_neighbour, they have to at least be
their eg:neighbour...

Dan