Re: [semanticweb] ANN: DBpedia 3.5 released

On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 19:48:53 +0300, Kingsley Idehen
<kidehen@openlinksw.com> wrote:

> baran@goldmail.de wrote:

>> > On Wed, 14 Apr 2010 13:21:07 +0300,
>> > Ivan Mikhailov <imikhailov@openlinksw.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > They say, the everlasting problem for professional cosmetics isgrowing
>> > quality of optics and media used for movies, celebrities should
>> continue
>> > to look perfect. But I can bet you've never paid attention to thatfact
>> > while looking at the final result.
>> >
>> > Similarly, growing database size and growing hit rate and growing
>> > complexity of queries are not obviously visible from outside, but turn
>> > the hosting into a race. We're improving the underlaying RDBMS as fast
>> > as we only can just to prevent the service from total halt. One might
>> > wish to provide a better service on their own RDBMS and thus to make a
>> > good advertisement, but nobody else want to do that _and_ can do that,
>> > so we're alone under this load.
>> >
>> > If you wish, you may help us with hosting and/or equipment, or simply
>> > set up a mirror site and we would be glad to redirect some part ofload
>> > to your cluster. Even an inexpensive $20000 mirror would help to some
>> > degree.
>>
>> I understand you so:
>>
>> a.) There is enough know-how for running heavy SPARQL endpoints.
>> b.) But there is no enough money.
>>
>> I cannot help in the way you think, because we work in different areas.
>>
>> I can access different SPARQL endpoints with different lists of queries
>> with a mouseclick under a single user-interface (surfing rdf-data with
>> 'similar' ontology structure) and i can write comments to you or to
>> fitting mailing-lists as i did it yesterday, that's all, sorry,
>>
>> thanks, baran.
>>
>> PS: Also thanks to Kingsley Idehen for interpreting 'HP of grandma' asa
>> friendly metaphor.
> Baran,
> We solve problems.
> What's your problem, be as clear as possible.

My first posting (see above on top) was for me clear, in 3-4 months i
promise to write here if there is 'for me' a sustainable enhancement or
not, it is very easy to fix it over time...

Now I notice for example <http://dbpedia.org/property/abstract> must
suddenly be

<http://dbpedia.org/ontology/abstract>, otherwise no response...

ok, why not, if it is for a better ontology structure, i adapt with my
client-side stuff and anticipate other unexpected changes.

But i have also other detailed questions for example about
literals-indexing (i'm not sure whether this is my problem) or simple
inferences like owl:TransitiveProperty (from Skos in dbpedia, or not?)
etc...

Is there an appropriate public(!) mailing-list for all who have generally
interest at similar things and (last not least) 'include the DBpedia
instance and SPARQL endpoint as being part of what constitutes the DBpedia
Team or DBpedia Project'?

thanks, baran.
--
Using Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/mail/ [2]