Re: RDF 2 Wishlist

Pat Hayes wrote:

> On Nov 2, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Damian Steer wrote:

>> I did a quick talk at TPAC last year:
>
> Do you have slides/text available?

This is the text (near enough). It was a very quick scoot through things
that (may) need fixing.

I can put the slides up if you want. They amount to the text of each
bullet below on a slide.

>> * Make bnode unlabelled, rather than existentially quantified var.
>
> Hmm, not at all obvious to me what this distinction amounts to.
> Unlabelled *is* existentially quantified, to all semantic purposes.
> Unfortunately, RIF has muddied this water by putting in meaningless
> distinctions.

I must confess this is one of those issues which I didn't grasp (I asked
around for painful corners of rdf). The issue was something like 'life
would be easier if bnode didn't imply one _or more_ things'.

>> * Equivalence relations. Seems like every use of sameAs is incorrect.
>>
>> I also liked Pat's keynote as ISWC. Alas, he didn't have much to say
>> on the last issue.
>>

> There wasn't time.

'He would have liked to have said much more on the last issue' is what I
meant. What I originally wrote is wildly at odds with that. Apologies.

> I'll tweet when Ive got the slides on that topic
> posted, hopefully soon. In brief: there are at least 4 distinct notions
> of same-but-not-sameAs Ive managed to identify so far, and Im sure there
> will be more. Bottom line: no single solution will work, so no RDF2
> magic bullet. But Im sure we can do something useful.

Thanks Pat. I'm looking forward to reading this,

Damian