Re: RDF 2 Wishlist

On Nov 2, 2009, at 5:12 AM, Damian Steer wrote:

> On 1 Nov 2009, at 17:51, Sandro Hawke wrote:
>
>> So, what should W3C standardize next in the area of RDF, if anything?
>> OWL 2 added a bunch of stuff to OWL that users wanted and
>> implementors
>> were willing to tackle.  Are there things like that around RDF?
>>
>> My own answer is in a recent blog post:
>>   http://decentralyze.com/2009/10/30/rdf-2-wishlist/
>>
>> What's yours?
>
> I did a quick talk at TPAC last year:

Do you have slides/text available?

> * Deprecate RDF reification. Issue warnings, write document to
> explain problems.
> * Deprecate collections (Alt, Bag, Seq). See above.
> * Serialise all graphs. Let rdf/xml use property URI:
> <rdf:rel rdf:prop=”http://xmlns.com/foaf/0.1/name”>Damian Steer</
> rdf:rel>
> * Serialise named graphs (although I'm not super keen in general):
> * Simple envelope: <document name="foo" type="application/
> turtle">...</document>
> * Sparql GSPO to dump datasets
> * etc
> * Deprecate rdf:id. Make about and resource synonyms.
> * Make bnode unlabelled, rather than existentially quantified var.

Hmm, not at all obvious to me what this distinction amounts to.
Unlabelled *is* existentially quantified, to all semantic purposes.
Unfortunately, RIF has muddied this water by putting in meaningless
distinctions.

> * Prefixes: warn if some standard set not 'correct'. Have 'grab all'
> namespace.
> * Lang _and_ type. Reason for exclusivity lost in mists of time.
> * Simple rule language. Not sure RIF has delivered that?
> * Literals as subjects. Not that useful, SPARQL allows it.
> * Bnodes as predicates. See above. Does SPARQL allow it?
> * RDF/XML inverse properties. Make writing more pleasant.
> * Equivalence relations. Seems like every use of sameAs is incorrect.
>
> I also liked Pat's keynote as ISWC. Alas, he didn't have much to say
> on the last issue.

There wasn't time. I'll tweet when Ive got the slides on that topic
posted, hopefully soon. In brief: there are at least 4 distinct
notions of same-but-not-sameAs Ive managed to identify so far, and Im
sure there will be more. Bottom line: no single solution will work, so
no RDF2 magic bullet. But Im sure we can do something useful.

+1 on everything else in your list.

Pat