Re: [ontolog-forum] Research Illusion

JFS>>I'd like to ask one question:  Do you believe that you have  sufficient
hype and money to make your preference become the  new mainstream?

John,
I was in doubt if this inquiry should be answered. But I have an unwise
habit to answer all the questions asked directly. Yours are an unusually
direct question, needing a frank answer.
Re. money. Ok, i may say, yes; but this is not a principal issue. With my
partner, I am in legal possession of a vast gold site (deposit,  land) with
indicated resources of more than 100 tonnes. Within 2 years, the industrial
extraction is planned to start, to be giving more than enough money for the
"sufficient hype".
But what my parner is missing: why i have to fund a standard ontology
project from my own resources, promising to have a great scientific and
economicl value for humanity.
There are public funding agencies for such particular cases, caring for
advancement of knowledge and human cultural prograssion. At least, there is
the ERC (European Research Council), chaired with a Hellene, dealing with
frontier research, and having this big mission: ["the first European funding
body set up to support investigator-driven frontier research. Its main aim
is to stimulate scientific excellence by supporting and encouraging the very
best, truly creative scientists, scholars and engineers to be adventurous
and take risks in their research. The scientists are encouraged to go beyond
established frontiers of knowledge and the boundaries of disciplines.... The
ERC aims to:
  a.. support the best of the best scientific efforts in Europe across all
fields of science, scholarship and engineering.
  b.. promote wholly investigator-driven, or 'bottom-up' frontier research.
  c.. encourage the work of the established and next generation of
independent top research leaders in Europe.
  d.. reward innovative proposals by placing emphasis on the quality of the
idea rather than the research area.
  e.. harness the diversity of European research talent and channel funds
into the most promising or distinguished researchers.
  f.. raise the status and visibility of European frontier research and the
very best researchers of today and tomorrow.
  g.. put excellence at the heart of European Research.
Today the distinction between 'basic' and 'applied' research has become
blurred, due to the fact that emerging areas of science and technology often
cover substantial elements of both. As a result, the term 'frontier
research' was coined for ERC activities since they will be directed towards
fundamental advances at and beyond the 'frontier' of knowledge. The ERC aims
to bring about a wide range of benefits:

  a.. By creating open and direct competition for funding between the very
best researchers in Europe, the ERC will enhance aspirations and
achievements. It will enable the best ideas and talents to be recognised
from a larger pool than exists at national level.
  b.. The ERC's competitive funding will be able to channel funds into the
most promising new fields, with a degree of agility not always possible in
national funding schemes.
  c.. The ERC aims to stimulate research organisations to invest more in the
support of promising new talents - the next generation of research leaders
in Europe.
  d.. On the economic side, the ERC will help nurture science-based industry
and create a greater impetus for the establishment of research-based
spin-offs.
  e.. From a societal perspective, the ERC could provide a mechanism for
investing rapidly in research targeted at new and emerging issues
confronting society."]
http://erc.europa.eu/index.cfm?fuseaction=page.display&topicID=12
As a personal example and scientific experiment. Applied in a proper way,
last year they had  as an  AdGrant proposal, " Standard Ontology for
Machines and People", costing to the public not 14, 5 euro as an inert
"neon", but only 2,5 m euro. Now, defaulting a proper metadisciplinary
science clasification scheme and panels organization, for more than a year
they are simply unable to decide, for the existent panels look as
unqualified to review the metadisciplinary proposal (here is a sad result of
research head games, loosing a high professional qualification). Moreover,
the EC Commissioner, commited to building a single research area in Europe,
can do nothing with this, since it is a jurisdiction of scientists, not
politicians. So it looks they really need your wise advices on the true
scientific policy.

Bottom line:
Its ours job to show that there is a real science and there is a
dissimulation and research illusions. As a wise person, you may agree with
me that in all practical senses it would be unwise to accept the established
but  harmful policy to fund all sorts of research illusions at the expense
of the public, expecting from these projects less senseless global crises
and more meaningful order in social life.
Azamat Abdoullaev

PS:
I am afraid that many and many real research projects have been
reprehensively neglected. Meantime, see
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Research_Council