Re: Research Illusion

As an academically educated professional and experienced global activist in sustainable development and HUMAN RIGHTS, I defend freedom of speech even if it borders on the verge of biting cynicism and being offensive.

I do however object to the way my words and those of others are interpreted..

I do remember a thread in which Azamat proposed a Federated Ontology System based on a monolithic super structure.

Every reply to Azamat's email has made some valuable point.

We may all have our doubts on the current state of the academia and the scientific publications and how these in their digital formats can be integrated in the semantic web, or linked data clouds.

I do not believe in a perfect world. but I do believe in striving for the best possible world.

In such a world human rights must prevail, which implies that freedom of choice, and freedom of speech are almost absolute.

The academia, however flawed it may be, has the moral obligation to lead and inspire in making the world of knowledge available to each and every one of us.

We have the right to question the academia and to criticize it.

I do however NOT share Azamat's bleak outlook and find his last email to be an unfair representation of the replies to his first email.

I propose we consider the flaws and imperfections and concentrate on coming up with viable solutions.

The obstacles Azamat pointed out are mostly of a human nature and deal with human flaws, these are however not the subject of these lists per se.

For implementing quality control in a wide range of human endeavors the international standards organization ISO has created quality control systems.

>From the criticism voiced by Azamat I would conclude that it would not be such a bad idea to come up with some generalized system for defining quality control, at least for digital publications, which of course would have to be on a voluntary basis.

This in combination with compliance to technical standards enabling integration in linked data clouds or semantic web would ensure the quality of material in the linked data domains, at least when concerning scientific publications.

Otherwise the internet may soon be swamped by open access repositories and open access journals of lesser quality, which would make the effort of adding these to linked data clouds or the semantic web a waste of scarce resources.

As I said before in earlier threads, a monolithic semantic web is not possible, their will be domains more perfect than others, or speaking in terms of information quality some better than others, instead of trying to make all of them perfect, let's focus on making those for which quality is deemed important as perfect as is humanly and technically possible.

And those domains of collective stupidity, leave them for what they are, they are after all the collective expression of individuals who have the right to have opinions and be stupid, because the exercise of free will to express oneself is a human right most cherished and most guaranteed by almost everyone of the 105 plus human rights treaties recognized by the UN.

Milton Ponson
GSM: +297 747 8280
Rainbow Warriors Core Foundation
PO Box 1154, Oranjestad
Aruba, Dutch Caribbean
www.rainbowwarriors.net
Project Paradigm: A structured approach to bringing the tools for sustainable development to all stakeholders worldwide
www.projectparadigm.info
NGO-Opensource: Creating ICT tools for NGOs worldwide for
 Project Paradigm
www.ngo-opensource.org
MetaPortal: providing online access to web sites and repositories of data and information for sustainable development
www.metaportal.info
SemanticWebSoftware, part of NGO-Opensource to enable SW technologies in the Metaportal project
www.semanticwebsoftware.info