Re: Semantic Debate and Reasoning Web Application

Dear Chris,

I'm not sure if you are interested in using "natural language processing"
(NLP) techniques to create structure from unstructured content, or to simply
ask people to enter their views and arguments in a structured format in the
first place. For the former, NLP is still very difficult, but for the
latter, many attempts still exists.

On one hand, you can find many systems on the Web trying to support this
sort of activity. Examples include:

www.truthmapping.com

debategraph.org

and many others.

In the academic arena, there has been some preliminary work towards an
"Argument Interchange Format" (AIF) to help annotate arguments. The first
paper on this was published in 2006:

C. Chesñevar, J. McGinnis, S. Modgil, I. Rahwan, C. Reed, G. Simari, M.
South, G. Vreeswijk and S. Willmott (2006). *Towards an Argument Interchange
Format*. The Knowledge Engineering Review, Vol 21, No 4, pages 293-316.

In terms of connections to Semantic Web technologies, some colleagues and I
did some work on providing RDFS and OWL implementations, but these are still
at the proof-of-concept level:

I. Rahwan (2008). *Mass Argumentation and the Semantic Web*. Journal of Web
Semantics. Vol 6, No 1, pages 29-37

I. Rahwan, F. Zablith and C. Reed (2007). *Laying the Foundations for a
World Wide Argument Web*. Artificial Intelligence, Vol 171, No 10-15, pages
897-921

I. Rahwan and B. Banihashemi (2008). *Arguments in OWL: A Progress Report*.
In A. Hunter (Ed.), Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on
Computational Models of Argument (COMMA), Toulouse, France. IOS Press,
Amsterdam, The Netherlands, pages 297-310.

You can find all the above papers on my publications page (see link to my
page below).

Good luck with your pursuit.

Regards,
Iyad

Dr. Iyad Rahwan, Ph.D.
Lecturer & MSc in IT Programme Director
Faculty of Informatics, British University in Dubai
P.O.Box 502216, Dubai, UAE

(Fellow) School of Informatics
University of Edinburgh, UK

Tel: +971-4-367 1959