Re: pdf and the semantic web

From: Knud Hinnerk Möller <knud.moeller@deri.org>
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 16:46:49 +0000
Cc: Alexander Garcia Castro <alexgarciac@gmail.com>, "semantic-web@w3.org" <semantic-web@w3.org>
To: Adrian Walker <adriandwalker@gmail.com>

Hi Alex,

PDF is also used for display throughout Mac OS X, so there are many
options for reading and also writing PDFs. Let me also point out SALT
[1], which is a research project about adding semantic annotations to
PDF (using XMP as a container for the annotations). More detailed
research papers about SALT are available here [2] and here [3].

Cheers,
Knud

[1] http://smile.deri.ie/projects/salt
[2] http://data.semanticweb.org/conference/iswc-aswc/2007/tracks/research/papers/197
[3] http://data.semanticweb.org/conference/eswc/2008/paper/209

On 11.02.2009, at 16:24, Adrian Walker wrote:

> Hi Alex --
>
> There are programs other than Acrobat that read and display pdf.
>
> xpdf on Linux is one such.  It's probably open source, so that one
> could get some tagging hooks into it.
>
> Hope this helps.
>
>                                        -- Adrian
>
> Internet Business Logic
> A Wiki and SOA Endpoint for Executable Open Vocabulary English over
> SQL and RDF
> Online at www.reengineeringllc.com    Shared use is free
>
> Adrian Walker
> Reengineering
>
> On Wed, Feb 11, 2009 at 10:43 AM, Alexander Garcia Castro <alexgarciac@gmail.com
> > wrote:
> I would like to know how applicable could the PDF format be within
> the context of the Semantic web? The PDF format is closed;
> annotating PDFs, as in tagging not the file but the information
> within the file, is not possible by means different from those
> provided by ADOBE. For instance, if I wanted to tag a word, or an
> image within, inside, a PDF I would have to do it with my acrobat
> reader -the latest version; But if I wanted to facilitate such
> operation via WEB I could only do it if and only if I had the XSLT
> so I could transform the PDF into XML. This limitation is, IMHO, a
> huge one within the context of the semantic web where we should be
> able to define links and use them. Furthermore, being forced to have
> a third party application just for displaying a file that should be
> displayed directly by the browser is not a nice feature. If PDF was
> open it could be rendered by the browser.  Aren't closed formats
> such as PDF viable within the context of the SW? After all the PDF
> was a solution within the context of portability and exchange of
> information; the main problem it was solving was a simple one "I
> want my document to look on display and once printed,  the same
> everywhere" and "I want people to be able to read my documents
> without loosing the format of the document and without having to
> consider the OS". Isn't the PDF obsolete within this context?
>
> --
> Alexander Garcia
> http://www.usefilm.com/photographer/75943.html

Knud Möller, MA
+353 - 91 - 495086
Smile Group: http://smile.deri.ie
Digital Enterprise Research Institute
   National University of Ireland, Galway
Institiúid Taighde na Fiontraíochta Digití
   Ollscoil na hÉireann, Gaillimh