Re: beyond 'formal' relations: describing relations between scientific and non-scientific material

On Wed, Apr 1, 2009 at 2:57 PM,  <paola.dimaio@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dennis
>
> I am  also researching relations
>

> I have found reading about the following useful
>
> 1. lexical relations
> 2. OBO Foundry ontology of relations
>
>  some excerpts from Azamats posts and other writings
> http://ontolog.cim3.net/forum/ontolog-forum/2009-02/msg00315.html
>
> however I am much puzzled by the fact that relations are considere as
> 'properties' of  class
> while in my view , or as in 'entity/relationship' representatio
> relations are a different primitive type (canonical class?) by  themselves,
> I would be intersted in a clarification of why/how is that so

Hello Paola,

I think the distinct views are the difference between modeling of the
language and the interpretation of what it says.

So in OWL a property can be considered related to a class in the sense
that there are predicates that are used in the encoding. As an example
consider "domain" which relates a property P to a class C. One might
consider this representation to be the "information model".

However the interpretation of a property is a pairs of entities that
are related by the property. So the "domain" relation encodes the
semantics that the first element of all such pairs that are the
interpretation of the property P have type C.

-Alan